Sunday, October 21, 2007

Patrick F. McManus, best-selling author/humorist

Name: Patrick F. McManus

First clue you wanted to be a writer; summarize the situation: I wanted to become a writer as soon as I found out what a freelance writer is. “This is for me,” I said. I was a freshman at Washington State University. I was absolutely thrilled with all the possibilities. It was if a great light had been turned on inside of me, a distinctly physical thing.

Earliest remembered writing or publishing experience: My first published piece was in the student newspaper at WSU. I had just discovered Hemingway and obviously was already under his influence. The story was about an expedition the hiking club took to Chimney Rock in Idaho.

What part of your education helped you most on your path to writing? My freshman comp teacher at WSU gave me all Fs on my first half dozen essays, but suddenly I becamed inflamed with the desire to be a writer and by the end of the semester he recommended me for honors English.

Who influenced you most along your way and how? My girlfriend and later my wife. She tells me if my humor is funny or not, and has always been supportive even when the humor wasn't funny. Every writer needs that kind of spouse.

Most satisfying piece(s) you've ever written---audience: I can't recall my most satisfying piece. Every piece is written with fear and pain and doubt, and when it is published and readers like it, there is an explosion of satisfaction.

Your publications or venues for writing: I have written 18 books and hundreds of magazine articles and stories. More than 20 stories have been published by Readers Digest, where I learned you don't get rich from their rates but the world-wide display of your work is fabulous. Other publications include Sports Illustrated, TV Guide, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Saturday Evening Post, New York Times, and endless others. Books have been published by Simon & Schuster and Henry Holt Co.

Nuggets of advice for young writers in middle school and high school: My one regret as a writer is that I didn't start when I was in middle school. If you want to be a writer, that is a wonderful age to get started.