Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dr. Christine Moon---professor/researcher

Name: Christine Moon

First clue you wanted to be a writer; summarize the situation: Early in my career, I was writing a grant proposal late at night when I realized that I was really enjoying the process of laying out the ideas well in order to convince others that the research was sound and worthy of being funded. Prior to this, it did not occur to me that the process of writing about research could be so enjoyable.

Earliest remembered writing and publishing experience: My first published article was in a professional research journal and it was on newborn infants' responses to the sounds of speech.

What part of your education helped you most on your path to writing? My science education helped me enormously because it taught me to think clearly and to write carefully. But before I entered the science field, I was a French major so I guess I have always loved language.

Who influenced you most along your way and how? One huge influence was my high school biology teacher, Mr. Fredlund, who did not emphasize writing at all. He gave me a love of the scientific method and made science meaningful and fun.

Most satisfying piece(s) you've ever written----its audience: The most satisfying piece might be an article in a publication for neonatal intensive care nurses. It was on how premature babies learn, and my hope was that it would reassure them and the babies' parents about some of the pain that the babies experience.

Your publications or venues for writing: Medical and psychology research journals.

Nuggets of advice for young writers in middle school and high school: My first piece of advice would be to read anything and everything – books, magazines, blogs, newspapers, instruction manuals, just everything! This will give you lots of words to use and lots of models to try out. My second piece of advice is to welcome criticism. A thoughtful critique of something you have written is a gift from a teacher, parent or friend. A knowledgeable editor is a terrific helper.