Sunday, October 21, 2007

Kathy Osborne, newspaper editor, columnist

Name: Kathy Osborne

First clue you wanted to be a writer; summarize the situation: I knew I wanted to write in tenth grade, but the Creative Writing teacher told me I had no talent for it, which soured me for many years. I continued to journal. When I got to North Idaho College a couple years after graduation, an English teacher there gave me the confidence I needed to move on. That was when my love for writing really began.

Earliest remembered writing and publishing experience: I was first published as a Guest Opinion writer on the Op page of the Daily Bee many years ago. I got a lot of good comments on the writing of that piece.

What part of your education helped you most on your path to writing?

Frankly, it was the experience I received at North Idaho College and the English department there which helped the most.

Who influenced you most along your way and how? Local writers I have been influenced by include Sandy Compton and Trish Gannon. Trish gave me the opportunity to write a regular column for River Journal. That has helped me a great deal.

Most satisfying piece(s) you’ve ever written----its audience:

“Longbridgitis” for the CO-OP Round up. Audience: newcomers to the area.

“Empty Nest Is for the Birds” Audience; emptynesters

Your publications or venues for writing: The CO-OP Country Round Up, The River Journal

Nuggets of advice for young writers in middle school and high school: If you love to write don’t let anyone, not even a teacher, tell you that you can’t do it. No one knows what is in your heart or the stories you have to tell. You and your voice are a valuable part of the broader community. Someone needs to hear what you have to share, so allow other lovers of the written word to help you learn to write your story well.