Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dr. Richard Benjamin, senior fellow Demos Think Tank

Name: Rich Benjamin

First clue you wanted to be a writer; summarize the situation:

Don’t remember!

Earliest remembered writing and publishing experience:

Writing an expose of teens and plastic surgery for my high school newspaper, The Observer. Appearing decades ago, my teenage “lifestyle feature” pretty much predated the public obsession with Botox, cosmetic procedures, Paris Hilton, Nip/Tuck, etc. My female classmates were surprised to learn of the practice’s growing popularity (especially rhinoplasty) among fellow youth, locally and nationally!

What part of your education helped you most on your path to writing?

Two college English professors, Gertrude Hughes and Kachig Tololyan. Not only did they expose me to some great books, short stories, and literary commentary, each taught me how to really read; that is, to dissect how language works, the better to understand broad ideas, subtext, nuance, metaphor — and all the ways that the written word can seduce us.

Who influenced you most along your way and how?:

See above. I would add David Callahan, co-founder of Demos, who snatched me from my naivete, then showed me (in a more cunning, nuts and bolts way): how to write for mass publication, how to “pitch stories” to grizzled, overworked editors, and how to earn a living from my sentences.

Most satisfying piece(s) you’ve ever written----its audience:

The book I am presently writing. Its anticipated audience is the general public; more specifically, reliable book consumers who read non-fiction current affairs, which generally means middle to upper-middle-class people thirty-five and older.

Your publications or venues for writing:

USA Today, Boston Globe, Tom Paine.com, Atlanta-Journal Constitution, Omaha Herald, etc

Nuggets of advice for young writers in middle school and high school:

A.) Read, read, read — then read some more. I don’t believe you can understand sentences, and execute good ones, until you’ve read a ton of them. I believe constant reading not only gives you a wealth of knowledge, but allows you to absorb ideas and writing mechanics — the more you read, the more your self expression will become like second nature.

B.) Until you reach your late 20s, take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth! It’s difficult to become an observant, perceptive youngster, if you’re too busy talking. Listen and learn. In college, we had this one smarty-pants classmate who loved the sound of his voice. In class one day, the professor picked up his banana, like a phone, and shouted: “Hello, President Clinton? I’ve got this kid here, Max. Why don’t you give him a job, while he still knows everything?” We roared with laughter. I don’t know that Max ever matured into a published writer. As a youth, he was just too busy talking.

C.) There are those who like to write, and those who like to have written. If your primary joy is to have written (getting the byline, the acclaim, etc), that may never sustain you. Enjoying the writing process will propel you. I can honestly say that I enjoy traveling, meeting people, collecting information, hearing stories, and putting my thoughts on paper more than I enjoy seeing my own byline. Recognition is great, but I believe that writing is an endeavor to be enjoyed on its own terms. If you want money and recognition, it’s simpler to become a trial attorney or an entrepreneur.

D.) Find a wise teacher, relative, neighbor, or local professional who will mentor you and your writing!