Sunday, October 21, 2007

Jeff "JT" Bock, sreenwriter, box office analyst

Name: Jeff Bock

First clue you wanted to be a writer; tell the situation:

Well, I was walking down the street…with a ham in my hand…Actually, I’m not sure I ever wanted to be a writer…but definitely an entertainer, a storyteller. And with today’s media outlets, there’s more opportunity than ever to find your niche. Initially, I think the positive reaction I received from my “Eggman” short films gave me my first real inkling that I might want to “entertain” with words and images. God it was scary though, reading your work, or showing it in front of an audience was like baring your soul, your true self. But as difficult as it is to do, it is also the most fulfilling experience.

As a writer, I think exploring sports in our high school newspaper, in the first person, was a precursor to everything I do no. Screenwriting, for me, is a quest really, to uncover the spine of a particular character(s)…and I’ve always felt I had to walk in those character’s shoes, to truly do justice to them.

Earliest remembered writing and publishing experience:

Ah, well, The Bonner County Historical Society book. A first for many of us, I’m sure. But there’s something very important and indeed historic about seeing your name and your thoughts published for the first time. It definitely fueled the fire.

What part of your education helped you most on your path to writing?

The encouragement of teachers. Without a doubt, this has been the single most important aspect of me continuing along the path.

Who influenced you most along your way and how?

Marianne Love. One of my biggest supporters!! I truly thank her (you) for that. She was constantly on my case (and on my list), which I needed, and ultimately forced me to challenge myself and set deadlines…a must for any writer.

Other writers-- Roald Dahl. Stephen King. Dave Eggers (with a name like that, who would’ve guessed), Cormac McCarthy. Chris Columbus (screenwriter “The Goonies” “Gremlins”) Judd Apatow (“Freaks & Geeks” “Knocked Up”) Tim Burton.

Students. Having your peers thoughtfully critique your work is essential. Join or create a weekly/monthly writer’s group. Share your favorite authors, etc.

Most satisfying piece(s) you’ve ever written-----audience:

A TV series entitled “Time Tots,” which is actually written for tweens. Also, a short story about my days working at the lumber mill, called “The Green Chain” and most recently a screenplay about life in Sandpoint, circa the early 1930’s, entitled “The Mighty Riverpigs.”

Your publications or venues for writing:

Screenplays. Short stories. Documentary: Jenny’s Journal. I'm a Box Office Analyst for a company called Exhibitor Relations, Co. I analyze box office numbers and distribute grosses to various media organizations: CNN, E!, Bloomberg News, Wall Street Journal, New York Post, Etc.

My column, appropriately enough, is called BOCK'S OFFICE, which I update every Sunday in our newsletter that goes out to various film studios and media entities. I discuss how various films performed (or underperformed) and the consequences that follow in an informative and entertaining manner. Basically, I opine in that traditional first-person narrative that has always been my signature. It will also be online when our new website goes live this holiday season.

Nuggets of advice for young writers in middle school and high school:

Read. Read. Read some more. No matter what outlet you’re striving for, know the trailblazers. Those that have come and gone before us, still have the power to reach out, grab us, and shake us with incredible force…all from mere words on a page. That’s something to strive for, knowing that the way you arrange your words and experiences can jolt a generation. That’s true power. That’s the secret to immortality. Write what you know, from your own specific voice; the audience will gravitate toward you. Don’t make the mistake of writing for an audience, write to yourself. If you’re entertained, the audience will be, too.

Visit coffee shops frequently. Listen and translate conversations between people that you overhear, as these could be the beginning of a great story. It’s also a superb place to find the individual rhythms of your characters…and that’s what makes a character not only believable, but interesting and unique.